Friday, February 5, 2010

Cut & Color


5 February 2010

It’s been six weeks and as my gray roots make their ¾” growth known, I’ve been contemplating whether or not to try a DIY over-the-counter L’oreal treatment. I haven’t had the nerve yet because I have never been very successful at coloring my own hair, but neither have I had the nerve to make an appointment at one of the many coiffures we pass on a regular basis in every village we visit. In fact, I am sure that there are more coiffures than supermarches or gas stations in the majority of villages. Women obviously get their hair done on a regular basis and much of it is quite colorful I have noticed. But, going into of these shops is obviously going to be another verbal challenge for me and I know that this time my misuse of the language could have dire consequences.

So, this morning, Hank and I walked by a place in town that advertised reasonably priced color and cut and since I can easily point, grunt and do know my numbers, I made an appointment for 2:30 this afternoon. I am really just writing to give my “before” perspective (which is still hopeful) to be compared with the aftermath later on. I can already tell that Hank thinks this could potentially provide some great material for his blog.

A few hours later:

I survived the cut and color and Hank doesn’t have anything funny to write about it as Gerard, le coiffure, did a great job. He also didn’t speak a word of English and when Hank returned a half hour later after dropping me off, the three of us ended up conversing for 2 hours. Once the initial ice was broken, like most of the French people we have met and befriended, Gerard was gracious and generous in sharing information about himself and seemed to take a genuine interest in us. Once he found out that we were Americans, he proudly pulled out a picture of himself at a NY marathon from the 90’s (with the Twin Towers in the backgound). When Hank mentioned that he liked the blues music playing in his shop, we talked about blues and jazz and then he excitedly told us about his talented and beautiful daughter living in Paris and put on one of her songs. He also shared his video recorded on his phone of the popular French crooner, Johnny Halliday. We continued sharing mutual likes and dislikes (Obama and Bush/Sarkozy respectively) and ended our visit with the much sought after bissous and plans to return in six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment